Thursday 20 October 2011

I Want This Mob in My Parlor....

In my last post I raved about a new band I learned about online.  This week I want to do almost the same thing.  I learned about New Jersey band The Parlor Mob online as well but they weren't my discovery.  The Parlor Mob first came to my attention through my one of my sons a couple of years ago.  We've always openly shared music to each other and all my sons know what I like.  So it wasn't uncommon for one of the boys to call me over to the computer to..."listen to this".

As I listened to the amazing riffs accompanied by the incredible vocals of "Can't keep no good boy down" all I could say is "Who the hell is this?  They're incredible!"  The Parlor Mob.  He had heard of them from a VJ on MuchMusic, who said they were her favorite band.  We looked up another song "Everything you're breathing for" and I was in awe.  These guys were a mix of Led Zepplin, Black Crows, and yes even Lynyrd Skynyrd.  This music was fucking timeless, I knew that it would appeal to my time trapped friends as much as it appealed to my son.  I bought the album "And you were a crow", listened and fell in love with it.  I bought 3 more copies to share with friends and waited for The Parlor Mob to become the next big thing.

What the fuck?  I've still yet to hear a Parlor Mob song on our local radio station.  Everybody I've told about them has loved them.  Makes me wonder who decides what is played on radio these days...let's face it, our kids had the right idea when they gave up on radio years ago, opting to decide on their own who and what they listened to.  I still listen to the radio's morning show, the guys are funny and I get caught up on the local news and weather too.  Not to mention that its a great place to win tickets to local events as well!  Other than that though, I've taken a lesson from my kids and turned to the choices offered online as opposed to the open airways. 

Fucking good thing too.  I might have missed The Parlor Mob's new album "Dogs".  When I created a twitter account this summer, I started following bands and musicians I liked.  Through the links offered on twitter profiles, I am able to get updates from the bands official websites or pages.  I can also subscribe to newsletters that also provide a lot of updated information.  As "And you were a crow" is one of my favorite all time albums, (that's right...it ranks with such greats as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedos, and Eric Clapton's The Journeyman) I made sure to follow The Parlor Mob.  You can't even fucking imagine how pumped I was to learn that The Parlor Mob was getting ready to release their second album.  I previewed The Parlor Mob's "Dogs" on their official website and was able to pre-order the album on iTunes through their links.  

I was so fucking excited to get the email declaring my download was now available!  I knew "Dogs" was no "And you were a crow" because I had previewed it already.  And when I say that, I in no way mean to say that "And you were a crow" was a better album because I don't think it is.  I don't think it's a worse one either...they are just different from each other.  The best way I can describe it is that "And you were a crow" has more of a earthy tone?...where "Dogs" I would describe as more urban?  See, I'm not even sure how to explain the difference. 

These guys are fucking incredible!  These guys, by the way, are singer Mark Melicia, guitarists David Rosen and Paul Ritchie, drummer Sam Bey and bassist Anthony Chick.  Anthony Chick replaces original bassist Nick Villapiano, who left the band on amicable terms.

I would have to say that one of the possible differences in their new album is that their sound has matured.  When I listen to "Practice in Patience" "Slip Through My Hands" and "Hard Enough" I want to cry.  That's because these songs, though they still have amazing guitar riffs and incredible vocals, also have the underlying honesty of adult relationship struggles and heartbreak that can be felt more than heard. 

On the other hand, one similarity between the two albums is the bands apparent political views continue to be voiced through their songs.  Songs such as "Take What's Mine" "American Dream" and "How It's Going To Be" speak of their strong social and political stances.

The Parlor Mob has definitely picked up the pace on their second album....it's has a much harder rock foundation than their first and seem to be a little more daring with experimental guitar without losing the simplicity that makes their music timeless.  In other words...this band has it fucking all!   Some people will prefer their first album, some will prefer their second.  I think a lot will be like me and love them both.......; )

The Parlor Mob can be found at the end of the following links:
http://www.theparlormob.com/
http://www.facebook.com/theparlormob
http://theparlormob.tumblr.com/
http://www.myspace.com/theparlormob
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/artists/parlormob/
https://twitter.com/#!/theparlormob

No comments:

Post a Comment